Aerotek Container/Packaging Engineer in Warren, Michigan
A Packaging Engineer for Vehicle Programs is responsible for developing, validating and implementing specialized containers that ship components & sub-assemblies into assembly plants. The work of a packaging engineer involves taking inputs from multiple stakeholders, understand supply chain & manufacturing constraints to develop a robust packaging solution. The key goal of a packaging engineer is to protect part quality while optimizing container density & logistics equipment to minimize enterprise costs. Critical engineering skill sets include manufacturing and assembly processes, as well as successful project management. Being able to identify and eliminate waste within the logistics, manufacturing and material handling processes are preferred.
• Develop packaging solutions that support multiple stakeholders in the supply base, logistics, and manufacturing
• Execute project management on multiple container designs & commodities to support future program milestones & deliveries
• Responsible to develop validation protocols including loading, transportation and unloading to ensure robust designs
• Ultimately the packaging engineer is responsible for developing a robust solution with high first time quality (zero rework).
• Must be able to prioritize workload based on supporting multiple programs / studies at the same time, and be able to work independently to meet goals & KPI's
• Must be the technical expert for packaging at a commodity level to support future strategies from a container & logistics perspective
• Expected to lead discussions and ask questions to help identify critical constraints that the container must support while controlling costs within multifunctional groups
• Critical skills for this job include: good communication and computer skills to work effectively across the organizations.
• 3D modelling and CAD software knowledge preferred (UG-NX & TeamCenter experience)
• Most of the travel is local to SE Michigan, however some scheduled overnight trips to plants within North America to support program launches should be expected.
Experience/Education: • Bachelor’s degree; preferably in Industrial or Mechanical Engineering • >2 years of work experience in a manufacturing environment Qualifications (Required): • Education or experience related to packaging designs utilizing 3D modelling and design software and multiple manufacturing processes & materials • Working knowledge of material handling and manufacturing processes • Excellent verbal and written communication skills • High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and/or difficult • High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others • Strong personal computer skills • Hands on problem solving ability • Self-motivated and strong initiative • Strong project management and organization skills • Demonstrated ability to work independently, with little or no supervision
Qualifications (Preferred): • Understanding of Lean Manufacturing Strategies and Quality Systems • Good business acumen, organizational and strategic agility • Experience in developing Cost/Benefit data analysis (Business Cases) • Red X/problem solving proficiency • Bachelors / Master’s degree in Packaging, Industrial or Mechanical Engineering • Knowledge of vibration data acquisition and testing Unigraphics NX, TcAE, Autoweb knowledge and application • ISTA or ASTM validation & testing protocols
We know that a company's success starts with its employees. We also know that an individual's success starts with the right career opportunity. As a Best of Staffing® Client and Talent leader, Aerotek's people-focused approach yields competitive advantage for our clients and rewarding careers for our contract employees. Since 1983, Aerotek has grown to become a leader in recruiting and staffing services. With more than 250 non-franchised offices, Aerotek's 8,000 internal employees serve more than 300,000 contract employees and 18,000 clients every year. Aerotek is an Allegis Group company, the global leader in talent solutions. Learn more at Aerotek.com.
The company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law.
- Aerotek Jobs