Munson Medical Center Project Manager III in Traverse City, Michigan
This position has the opportunity to be remote.
The Project Manager (PM) independently oversees projects from start to finish which typically involves multiple locations, systems and areas. The Project Manager applies best practice project management principles and utilizes (Project Office) PO methodologies. The role of a Level 4 Project Manager is to manage large project teams; assess, plan and execute complex projects; and communicate to sponsors, stakeholders, and project team members.
QUALIFICATIONS/REQUIREMENTS: Experience/Education Must have one of the following (required):
Associate’s degree (preferably IS/Business or healthcare emphasis) with 4 years’ relevant experience (IS/Business or healthcare)
Bachelor’s degree (preferably IS/Business or healthcare emphasis) with 2 years relevant experience (IS/Business or healthcare)
6 years in healthcare or IS/Business experience
Experience in Information Systems (IS) beneficial
Experience in healthcare beneficial
Technical Knowledge o Experience with use of project methodology. required o Understands fundamental concepts, practices and procedures related to project management. required o Ability to work independently. required o Exhibits strong organization skills and evidence of methods for organizing work. required o Exhibits strong communication skills and uses appropriate tools and/or methods to keep project executives, stakeholders, and team members informed. required o Exhibits strong analytical skills and clearly communicates results. required o Exhibits commitment to ensure customer satisfaction. required o Ability to facilitate teams. required o Demonstrates accuracy, quality, and thoroughness where appropriate. required o Distinguishes between information that is critical and non-critical to problem resolution. required o Creates and/or revises methodology supported by the Project Office. required
Miscellaneous o Keyboarding proficiency. required o Basic knowledge of MS Windows. required o Basic knowledge of MS Access, Excel, Outlook (email and calendar), PowerPoint, Project, Visio, and Word or equivalent. required
ORGANIZATION: Under the general supervision of a Manager, but may receive advice and assistance from Director of Information Systems, or other lead positions within IS. Must maintain a working relationship with all Information Systems staff.Must maintain a professional working relationship with staff from user departments, other regional healthcare facilities and hardware vendors. Under the supervision of the on call person whenever the Manager is unavailable. No managerial and supervisory responsibility.
AGE OF PATIENTS SERVED:
No clinical contact with patients
COMMON TO ALL IS JOB DESCRIPTIONS REGARDLESS OF LEVEL:
• Supports the Munson Medical Center mission statement.
• Embraces and supports the Relationship Based Care philosophy of Munson Medical Center.
• Safety is a self-responsibility. Know the physical requirements of the job and work within those guidelines. Perform job duties safely at all times, utilizing learned body mechanics and transferring / lifting techniques. Plan your actions to promote safety. Report any unsafe situation / equipment according to hospital procedure.
• Contributes to the team orientation of the Information Systems and, as such, is responsible for proper communication with pertinent department members.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Core 10 Key Descriptors):
Functional Knowledge – Works independently to oversee projects from start to finish which typically involves multiple locations, systems and areas. Manages large project teams; assess, plan and execute complex projects; and communicate to sponsors, stakeholders, and project team members.
• Applies best practice project management principles. • Facilitates the team and vendors through the project lifecycle providing results that support the purpose of IT in a health care environment. • Facilitates creation, documentation, and approval of the project scope definition and objectives. • Manages the project scope and objectives. • Prepares and manages project budget. • Gains approval for and manages contracts and associated activity. • Facilitates gathering, validating, and documenting requirements. • Monitors project deliverables to ensure requirements are met. • Facilitates development of work breakdown structure, detailed work plans / schedule including project estimates and resource plans. • Manages project plan for adherence to scope, completion and quality of deliverables, availability of resources, within timeframe and budget. • Manages project issues and risks. • Reports project status. • Distinguishes between information that is critical and non-critical to problem resolution. • Creates and manages communication plan. • Ensures security procedures are followed with the selection and/or implementation of systems. • Assists with defining procedures for scheduled and unscheduled downtime. • Makes oneself available to customers and project team during critical periods.
Contributions and Achievements • Applies knowledge regarding complexities of healthcare, our business, our customers, and our environment. • Makes large scale contributions that involve multiple parties across IS and within the organization with productivity, efficiency and quality. • Seeks key roles and contributes significantly to large scale projects that span IS and the organization. • Actively seeks and delivers on leadership roles in projects/work that challenge current development/skill level. • Plays a key role in defining strategy and tactics. • Documents and articulates the success of teams. • Works on unique problems that may have impact across the entire organization.
• Demonstrates expanded business knowledge of Healthcare with broad knowledge of most functional areas; understands how healthcare areas are integrated (e.g., how registration and coding affect billing).
• Shares ideas on how to bridge gaps between functional business areas. • Accepts responsibilities within the organization, including involvement with initiatives that have nothing to do with IS.
• Contributes ideas that may benefit outside specific area of business/expertise.
Coaching and Mentoring • Leverages positive relationships with those mentored, helping to develop careers and skills. • Shares knowledge and expertise with others for growth, including knowledge learned about the IS industry and healthcare (as well as any other outside areas of expertise). • Noticeably sought out to provide mentoring and coaching to staff at all levels within the department.
• Leads large efforts involving multiple people from multiple business processes or technical areas.
• Demonstrates forward thinking.
• Applies advanced strategic planning.
• Projects self-confidence, authority and enthusiasm. • Inspires confidence and respect. • Takes calculated risks knowing that not every decision leads to a positive outcome. • Effectively uses leadership techniques to influence outcomes. • Helps define the bigger picture of IS and its role in the organization. • Demonstrates ability to adapt leadership style according to the situation and/or the state of the team. • Recognizes and works to develop leaders within in IS.
• May be called upon to be the Incident Commander during an IS outage
Teamwork • Influences direction of teams and anticipates obstacles. • Demonstrates mastery of negotiation and compromise. Knows when to engage others in the discussion. • Proactively develops positive, respective, cooperative relationships both within and outside the IS department. • Encourages diverse teams. • Takes responsibility for creating and maintaining a team environment that supports desired collaborative behaviors.
Communication Skills • Shows appropriate comfort level in front of leadership groups both within and outside the IS department. • Clearly articulates with ability to give impromptu communications on topics inside and outside area of expertise. • Acts as a role model for communications.
Problem Solving Skills • Brings industry techniques such as root cause analysis to problem solving as appropriate and necessary. • Demonstrates in-depth due diligence on options, pros, and cons. • Effectively makes and achieves recommendations based upon analysis and customer input to analysis process.
Social Behaviors • Utilizes techniques to shape behavior/style as necessary to appeal to the audience. • Acts as a champion for change and communicates positive reason for change. • Relays an engaging style that draws others to seek the individual’s involvement or leadership in projects, activities work, etc. • Displays tactful assertiveness and tackles work and projects with a sense of urgency for change and completion. • Demonstrates ability to manage conflict and negative behaviors in team members and co-workers. • Owns a commitment to the success of work outcomes and relationships.
Customer Service • Seeks out best practice(s) for customer service. • Acts as an exemplary role model for others with respect to customer service.