Daifuku Web Holding Company JBW Systems Engineer I (Automated Vehicle Engineering) in Novi, Michigan
Jervis B. Webb Company is a subsidiary of Daifuku North America Holding Company (daifuku.com/us/), a group company of Daifuku in Japan - the largest material handling company in the world. Our advanced systems move everything from car bodies at auto plants to luggage at airports to packaged goods at warehouses. We are known as experts in engineering, manufacturing and servicing innovative automated materials handling systems including conveyors, automatic guided vehicles, automated storage & retrieval systems, and integrated controls.
The company is currently seeking a Systems Engineer I.
Position Summary/ Primary Purpose
The Systems Engineer reports directly to the Supervisor, Electrical Engineering and participates in the design of semi-complex systems that integrate hardware and software. This position provides support in semi-complex material specification, schematic preparation and appropriate follow-up. This position also participates in recommending ideas related to productivity improvement, cost reduction and improvement in customer satisfaction, and translates technical requirements into actual system architecture.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Review and interpret customer’s project specifications.
- Provide structured and creative data analysis of customer’s operational and financial data to identify performance improvement opportunities.
- Define scope of work and description of operation.
- Calculate equipment performance requirements.
- Create system layout drawings, renderings, and illustrations.
- Define preliminary project schedule.
- Author design specification document for the project.
- Participate in simulation/emulation as needed.
- Ensure that the system is designed to intended level of function, durability and cost with focus on deliverables.
- Estimate system cost.
- Prepare RFQ and specification documentation for equipment and machinery.
- Provide ROI assessment for the project(s).
- Evaluate technical risk of the project.
- Identify and raise any issues that may impact project quality scope and timing and cost.
- Present material handling technical solution to customer and internal teams.
- Recommend and implement process improvement.
Broad Knowledge as Follows (Basic/Preferred)
- English Language — Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
Skills & Abilities Preferred as Follows (Basic/Preferred)
- Basic Analytical skills to extract critical data and translate to system concepts.
- Extensive Whole System Design Capabilities for: Conveyors, AGV’s and Smart Carts, Unit Load, WCS (Warehouse Control System) and WMS (Warehouse Management System).
- Able to accommodate a variety of different and changing situations.
- Positive attitude toward work requirements, fellow employees and customers.
- A wide degree of initiative, creativity, independence and latitude is necessary and expected.
- Ability to travel per the demands of the company.
- Flexibility and availability within work schedule for changing job deadlines.
- Work well under pressure and tight deadlines.
Education & Experience
- A.S. in Engineering or equivalent experience.
- B.S. in Engineering (Electrical/Industrial/Mechanical) or a related field is preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office – MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
- Proficient in AutoCad 2014 or later revisions
- 1+ years direct experience in Automated Material Handling Systems including mechanical, electrical and/or software, is preferred.
Demonstrated Physical Abilities as Follows:
- Visits to customer locations may require negotiating through an industrial facility, including, but not limited to, conveyor systems requiring climbing access ladders, negotiation screen guards, catwalks, and lifting and/or carrying objects up to 40 lbs.
Jervis B. Webb Company is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled, and federal sub/contractor. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, protected veteran status, marital status or medical condition. If you’d like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please call 248-553-1000.
Jervis B. Webb offers an excellent compensation package including great benefits such as excellent medical, vision, and dental insurance, paid vacation time, paid sick time, and paid holidays, 401K, Flexible Spending Programs, and more.
At this time our company only receives applications online. If you need assistance applying online to this position, please call 248-553-1000 and leave a message and your call will be returned.
# of Openings: 1
Company Division: WEBB