Cengage Learning Software Engineer in Farmington Hills, Michigan
Do you dare to reinvent the future of education?
At Cengage, we are harnessing the power of tech to build a future where all learners have the tools and confidence to achieve their goals.
As a Cengage employee, you will blaze a new trail to transform the way people learn. Collaborating with the best of the best, you will feel challenged and inspired to do breakthrough work. With the support of our united team, there is no limit to what you can imagine, create and set in motion.
Are we right for you?
We set the bar higher by bringing our unique talents and point of view to the table every day. We are curious and comfortable with change and are willing to take risks to transform education. Most importantly, with everything we do, we put learning first.
Are you ready to impact hundreds of engineers and millions of students?
If you were asked to build a totally new front end framework like React, would you be comfortable just diving in and doing it? Maybe you know that you could do it, but you don’t think you should do it. On our team these are the types of decisions we face. Our day to day decisions impact the lives of hundreds of engineers across many teams.
We build out the scaffolding, components, core libraries, CDN strategies, and build pipelines used across Cengage, and we help teams implement them.
Millions of students around the world use the products we create, and we take that responsibility seriously. Resiliency. Scale. Download times. MTTD & MTTR.
These are the concerns we measure and drive to improve.
At Cengage, we are harnessing the power of tech to build a future where all learners have the tools and confidence to achieve their goals. As a Cengage employee, you will blaze a new trail to transform the way people learn. Collaborating with the best of the best, you will feel challenged and inspired to do breakthrough work. With the support of our united team, there is no limit to what you can imagine, create and set in motion.
What You'll Do Here:
As a Software Engineer for Front-End Technologies your role is hands on – you will be writing lots of code. You will be also be soliciting feedback and working with our business owners to refine requirements for the rest of the team.
You are going to help us with building out the next revision of our core front end platforms and libraries/components for other Cengage products. Key to this will be partnering with our architecture team and laying out an achievable build plan.
· Collaborate with the architects, engineers, and business partners to understand our business, our products, and our strategic goals.
· Work in a full-stack team designing and building front end solutions.
· Help to refine processes and build tools to streamline the front end development process.
· Contribute to improved accessibility and overall user experience of our products.
· Document the solutions produced (both up-front design and post-release as-built).
· Collaborate with cross-functional roles to communicate and align development efforts.
· Help identify coding patterns and anti-patterns and enforce implementation of the patterns through code reviews.
· Identify and help mitigate front end performance issues.
· Perform root cause analysis, technology evaluation, and design spikes to define potential solutions to answer the business and technical objectives.
· Help break down, estimate, and provide just-in-time design for small increments of work.
Skills You Will Need Here:
· Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience.
· Minimum 5 years of experience building web application with a focus on UI/UX.
· Minimum 3 years of experience with React or another modern web framework, building single page applications.
· Knowledge of and desire to work with TypeScript.
· Understanding of web accessibility considerations and the tools and techniques required to build accessible web applications.
· Ability to teach and to learn. Pair programming experience is a huge plus.
· Experience with build tools for modern web applications such as Babel and webpack.
· Knowledge of performance considerations for modern web applications.
· Knowledge of cross-browser compatibility.
· Knowledge of and desire to work in an Agile development environment.
· Strong familiarity with object-oriented systems and enterprise design patterns.
· Ability to identify coding patterns and anti-patterns and to explain the patterns, both verbally and in written form through code reviews and documentation.
· Promote improvements in version control, continuous integration, project build, and project automation.
· Ability to test-drive clean, quality code, and work closely with other Agile team members.
· Ability and desire to take ownership of tasks when others do not. Help drive tasks to completion.
· Ability to estimate and provide just-in-time design for small increments of work.
· Ability to perform root cause analysis, technology evaluation, and design spikes.
Cengage is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, parental status, cultural background, organizational level, work styles, tenure and life experiences. Or for any other reason. You may view Cengage’s EEO/Affirmative Action Policy signed by CEO Michael Hansen (https://p.widencdn.net/pdvq6j/EEO_Policy_Statement_January_2017) and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notice (http://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/cengage/ybs5gt19ik/eeopost-merged.pdf) by visiting their corresponding links.
Cengage is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at +1 (617) 289-7917
Cengage, an education technology company serving millions of learners in 165 countries and territories, advances the way students learn through quality, digital experiences. We serve the K-12, higher education, professional, library, English language teaching, and workforce training markets worldwide. We believe that through the power and joy of learning, students can enrich their lives and achieve their dreams – no matter their age, experience, abilities, or environment. Our industry-leading products and services make education more accessible and affordable, including Cengage Unlimited, the first-of-its-kind all-access digital subscription service. Visit us at http://www.cengage.com/or find us on LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/company/cengage-learning/mycompany/) , Facebook, or Twitter (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/twitter.com/CengageLearning__;!!MXVguWEtGgZw!aJM6MqVIQGDoWSYaJ6CU3EZyn3SnQfIs5kCHxkrWiy4_XmXapqpMK0qgZUq02AuBC1E$) .
- Cengage Learning Jobs