Michigan State University Information Technologist II in East Lansing, Michigan
Information Technologist II
Back to search resultsApply nowJob no:539381
Work type:Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:Information Technology Services
Department:It Services Application Services 40000482
Salary:Salary Commensurate with Experience
Categories:Full Time (90-100%), Administrative Professionals- AP, Information Technology, Union
• Administers, analyzes, implements, monitors, and modifies enterprise computer systems and applications of moderate to high complexity following departmental standards, practices, and procedures, in coordination with a team of support professionals.
• Supports virtual and physical server Windows and Red Hat systems and applications within the Application Services enterprise application suite.
• Responsible for responding to urgent issues in a 24 x 7 capacity.
• Administers, monitors, and resolves identified issues with servers and applications based on proactive monitoring and incident resolution systems.
• Installs new server applications based on project and service request fulfillment needs, developing scripting/automation capability with each installation.
• Independently resolves all assigned standard, most moderate and up to 50% of highly complex issues with minimal direction or supervision.
• Escalates complex issues effectively within the team.
• Demonstrates aptitude to resolve complex issues independently.
• Participates in and/or leads customer design, handoff, presentation, and operational support discussions and meetings independently and as part of a solution design team.
• Works independently and as part of a team to design and complete projects.
• Analyzes team technical practices, procedures, and policies.
• Regularly identifies gaps, designs and proposes solutions and implements approved enhancements and updates.
• Manages ticket assignments and time tracking systems promptly according to departmental standards.
• Participates in after-hours availability rotation schedule as part of system administration team
• Requires some evening and weekend work.
• Mentors other team members in professional areas of expertise related to job responsibilities.
• Regularly contributes independently to development of project plans and scope, cost estimates, coordinating activities, and providing support for and input into priority management for projects of medium to large size, complexity, and duration.
• Contributes to larger projects as a member of a team.
• Reports status and escalates issues to supervisor and management effectively.
• Participates in team, departmental, and MSU IT meetings, committees and assignments.
• Other duties as assigned.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
• Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree in computer science, information systems, business, or related information technology field, with coursework in an information technology specialization related to the area of employment.
• Three to five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience supporting enterprise client server applications running in a Unix server infrastructure environment.
• Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Advanced knowledge and understanding of the operation of enterprise application software and systems, monitoring servers and services according to scheduled maintenance procedures and performing scheduled diagnostics and maintenance as required.
• Red Hat Enterprise Linux administration experience.
• Advanced experience deploying application executables and/or creating RPMs, managing a private update and software repository.
• Advanced experience with fundamental operation of software, hardware and servers.
• Intermediate knowledge of scripting languages such as Bash, Perl, Ruby or Python.
• Advanced knowledge of server deployment technologies like Puppet, Chef or PowerShell for task automation.
• Experience with virtualization technologies (VMWare, XEN, KVM, VirtualBox, Hyper-V).
• Familiar with storage protocols such as CIFS, NFS, iSCSI, FC, etc. to connect to shared storage.
• Knowledge of various network protocols such as TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, UDP, and routing protocols.
• Knowledge of security policies, firewalls, VLANs, and network configuration.
• Ability to identify and escalate complex and advanced issues... (SEE ATTACHMENT)
Required Application Materials
Resume and Cover Letter
Please provide 3 references knowledgeable of your work.
Bidding eligibility ends on 10/16/18 at 11:55 PM.
Advertised:Oct 10, 2018Eastern Daylight Time