Toyota Thermal Systems Performance Development Engineer in Detroit/Ann Arbor, Michigan
Title: Thermal Systems Performance Development Engineer Location: US-MI-Detroit/Ann Arbor-Saline Other Locations:
The primary responsibility of this role is to develop vehicle performances which achieve thermal system requirements through vehicle testing and simulation.
The person in this role will support the department's objective to develop safe and reliable mobility solutions which exceed our customer’s expectations.
What you’ll be doing
- Develop and implement vehicle performance requirements for powertrain cooling systems and vehicle thermal management.
- Utilize 1D/3D modeling to predict and analyze vehicle cooling systems fluid flow and engine compartment/underbody part temperatures.
- Plan and execute vehicle level testing, both in a climatic wind tunnel and on-road.
- Analyze technical data, identify root cause of target miss, develop appropriate countermeasures, and negotiate implementation.
- Collaborate with a cross-functional departments including the style studio, part design engineers, performance development engineers and manufacturing to achieve overall vehicle requirements.
- Conduct field issue investigation, benchmarking, and technical research projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you bring
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in an engineering discipline.
- Relevant technical work experience.
- Experience with independent project management.
- Experience in automotive performance prediction, evaluation and data analysis.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel, domestically and internationally as required (25%).
- Willingness to work overtime as required.
- This position requires driving. A motor vehicle record that’s acceptable by company standards is required for this position.
What you may bring
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in Mechanical Engineering.
- Experience with thermal data analysis, e.g. temperature, duty cycle, etc.
- Experience with complex system evaluation including sensor instrumentation, data acquisition, and data processing.
- Experience with 3D/1D simulation tools such as Catia, ANSA, Star CCM , Powerflow, GT-Suite, MATLAB/Simulink.
- Experience with analyzing and summarizing large data sets.
- Capability to create and utilize scripts using languages such as Python and VBA.
- Genuine interest in automobiles and basic knowledge of automotive design.
- Toyota professional work experience.
- A work environment built on teamwork, flexibility and respect.
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career, as well as tuition reimbursement.
- Vehicle purchase & lease programs.
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans for your entire family.
- Flexible work options based on business needs.
- Toyota 401(k) Savings Plan featuring a company match, as well as an annual retirement contribution from Toyota regardless of whether you contribute.
- Paid holidays and paid time off.
- Referral services related to prenatal services, adoption, child care, schools and more.
- Flexible spending accounts.
- Relocation assistance (if applicable).
Our success begins and ends with our people. We embrace diverse perspectives and value unique human experiences. Respect for all is our North Star. Toyota is proud to have 10 different Business Partnering Groups across 100 different North American chapter locations that support team members’ efforts to dream, do and grow without questioning that they belong. As a company that has been one of DiversityInc’s Top 50 Companies for Diversity and a member of The Billion Dollar Roundtable supporting minority and woman-owned suppliers for over 10 years, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates the diversity of the communities where we live and do business.