Toyota Engineer - Electronics System in Detroit/Ann Arbor, Michigan
Title: Engineer - Electronics System Location: US-MI-Detroit/Ann Arbor-Saline Other Locations:
Who we’re looking for
Toyota’s Electronic Systems Department is looking for a passionate and highly-motivated Engineer.
The primary responsibility of this role is to develop upper body electronics parts.
Reporting to the Senior Engineering Manager, the person in this role will support the Electronic Systems Department's objective to develop electronics parts within vehicles.
What you’ll be doing
- Cockpit electronics development of RF and Body Electronics related parts (Smart ECU, Body ECU, Tailgate ECU, RKE, GDO) and miscellaneous ECU development.
- Plan structure of parts and systems through target setting, packaging and style feasibility.
- Measured/accountable for following department processes, meeting deadlines, and error-free output for parts development of the group (E.g. Parts Lists, Wire Specifications, Part Specifications).
- Involved in leading, mentoring, motivating and coaching less experienced engineers positively through design processes, supplier engagement, communication throughout Toyota, Toyota Business Practices, and facilitate Toyota knowledge transfer within the group. Responsible for managing contract staff.
- Vehicle / Project Leader, responsible for identifying and leading project related milestones through cooperation with DSP group.
- Responsible for the development of electronics parts within concurrent minor and major changes.
- Accountable for control and reduction of cost and mass for responsible parts and within group.
- Taking extra initiative to improve group operations such as processes, visualization of group health, and other initiatives to increase quality of group output.
- Detailed knowledge of applicable regulations, industry, Toyota Standards, and market to all of groups parts.
- Improving the customer experience by innovation. Continually gaining knowledge of parts, competitors and customers and transforming them into innovative proposals, designs or developments. Benchmark competitor vehicles, consumer electronics, and other related technologies then derive next generation parts/system proposals to improve user experience, cost, mass, and performance.
- Execute design in Catia either independently or by leading Supplier Engineers and CAD modelers.
- Create and maintain part development schedule through to SOP (Start of Production). Conduct schedule negotiations within Electronics Systems department and suppliers. Assess and develop risk management activities to maintain project targets, i.e. performance, cost, mass, quality, user experience. Make proposals and recommendations to recover.
- Participate in evaluation and manufacturing activities at the event location - both domestic and international.
- Communicate between various Toyota Design Center's Engineering Staff. Facilitate regular communication with Toyota Japan counterparts.
What you bring
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in an Engineering discipline (Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics, Aeronautical, Aerospace, or related)
- Experience in resolving field issues for Electrical/Electronic/Mechanical Systems
- Experience resolving field issues related to automotive body or wireless electronics
- Willingness and ability to travel both domestically and abroad
- Willingness and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- This position requires driving. A motor vehicle record that’s acceptable by company standards is required for this position.
Added bonus if you have
- Japanese language capability
- Toyota employment experience
- TBP (Toyota Business Practice) panel completed
- ECU development experience
- A work environment built on teamwork, flexibility and respect.
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career, as well as tuition reimbursement.
- Vehicle purchase & lease programs.
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans for your entire family.
- Flexible work options (if applicable).
- Toyota 401(k) Savings Plan featuring a company match, as well as an annual retirement contribution from Toyota regardless of whether you contribute.
- Paid holidays and paid time off.
- Referral services related to prenatal services, adoption, child care, schools and more.
- Flexible spending accounts.
- Relocation assistance (if applicable).
Have a question or need assistance with your application? Check out the How to Apply section of our careers page on Toyota.com.