General Motors Senior Data Engineer - GCC0001802 in Detroit, Michigan
General Motors Data Engineer, GCCX Analytics & Insights
Who we are
At General Motors, we embrace the opportunity to think bigger and aim higher. It’s the confidence in knowing our ideas produce exceptional vehicles and mobility solutions that move the worldin exciting new ways. With strong leadership and bold vision, we’re directing the future of transportation—and enriching people’s lives along the way.
What we do
Breakthroughs happen every day here—from advances in vehicle electrification and fuel cell technology to automation and connected car platforms. The knowledge and perspectives of our diverse workforce offer insight into the changing needs of our customers, spark inventive ways to improve our vehicles and elevate our business. And we’re developing more sustainable methods along the way that maximize our planet’s resources and benefit our surrounding communities.
As part of GM, GCCX is charged with bringing the digital ecosystem to life in the car. This involved delivering high value services to the customers via connected cars as well as ensuring an exemplary customer experience to earn customers for life for GM’s product and services.
Why work with us
We combine the passion of a startup with the influence of a global powerhouse. We offer careers that are built on a strong foundation and are motivated by discovery. We encourage you to explore few of the many reasons to unleash your talent with General Motors .
GM has led the automobile industry for years with its connected cars, OnStar service, 4G Wifi in virtually every automobile, and most recently its venture into autonomous cars. The prevalence of these data across literally millions of cars translates into massive amounts of data ranging from car performance (tire pressure, gas consumption, radio utilization, etc.) to driver behavior (speeding, sudden stops, location, and the like).
Simultaneously, over the past 5 years, Information Technology has created a best-in-class Hadoop environment to house these and other data about the customer including digital behavior, third-party demographics, service and warranty transactions, and many more.
To-date, most of this data has gone untapped and the Chairman and CEO believes there is opportunity to create better customer experiences, maximize safety, drive incremental revenue, and monetize the data externally through marketplaces and new products. GCCX is at the center of this opportunity given its focus on the consumer facing OnStar service, connectivity in the car, and the in-vehicle digital life.
The Data Engineer will work on a business team of talented data and analytics professionals responsible for the full life cycle of strategy, design, testing and implementation of data assets for Global Connected Customer Experience (GCCX) analytics solutions to enable strategic and operational decision making. She/he will coordinate with GCCX business stakeholders and IT to translate business needs into technical design specifications to build data pipeline architecture and assemble data assets to support business intelligence and data scientist team members. She/he will ensure the quality and sustainability of the data assets design supports best-in-class data & analytics across the organization.
The Data Engineer role focuses on those activities that support the integration, design and modeling, storage, and organization of data, as it’s transformed into information per business processes and consumed through analytics and insight reporting. As such, this role is responsible for building industrialized data assets and optimized data pipelines for analytics solutions where data will be extracted, transformed and loaded from source systems to a number of solutions including, but not limited to data warehouse, data marts, multi-dimensional or tabular cubes, and analytical data sets.
This individual must have a solid understanding of integrated data solutions and process automation techniques. This individual must have strong experience in building large complex data sets, be able to articulate best practices related to data quality and cleansing and be able to incorporate those practices into delivered solutions.
They will be asked to describe past project work and be able to demonstrate their expertise as part of the interview process.
Line of Business and Function leaders (client/customer)
Information Technology and Chief Data & Analytics Officer (CDAO) office
Leadership and interpersonal skills:
- High degree of professional confidence and credibility, with the presence and communication skills to represent data concepts effectively with all levels of the business, including executive
- Strong business acumen, and the ability to translate “data” to a “business story” and effectively communicate it to business stakeholders and partners
- Collaborative team player orientation towards work relationships, strong culture awareness
- Highly seasoned in organizational, time management and decision making
- Ability to break down complex problems and projects into manageable goals
- Ability to work under pressure, establish priorities and respond with urgency
- Proactive, great attention to detail, results-oriented problem solver
- Ability to influence people across the organization. Ability to act as a change agent.
- Effectiveness in building trust, respect and cooperation among teams
- Product Management Experience in building complex Big Data Products
- Expert SQL skills, including the ability to write, tune, and interpret SQL queries; tool specific experience in Hadoop, Microsoft SQL Server, Teradata is ideal
- Experience with data aggregation and manipulation using large data formats, e.g., Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc
- Experience building large, complex big data sets and delivery mechanisms to support advanced analytics and insights analysis
- Experience in object-oriented scripting languages, e.g. Python or Scala
- Experience working with SAS or R is beneficial but not required.
- Familiar with Data Profiling and Wrangling Tools like Alteryx, Trifacta, Paxata or Talend
- Knowledge of tools to perform data quality, data cleansing, data wrangling and data standards
3-7 years experience translating business needs to data requirements and designing data-driven solutions supporting analytics and insights
Bachelors (Computer Science/Math/Economics/Engineering/Preferred);
Master’s Degree preferred (Computer Science, MBA, Math or Engineering Preferred) or equivalent experience