Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Rating & Underwriting Analyst II in Detroit, Michigan
Evaluate and assess risks to safeguard the financial assets of the company.
- Understand and protect the financial health of the company by making sound business recommendations and decisions.
- Calculate renewal rates using appropriate rating formulas and procedures and analyze projected financial impacts.
- Validate that the final renewal rates and associated packaging is correct and ensuring quality in rate releases.
- Calculate quarterly and annual settlements & prepare ERISA reports.
- Create quotes for customers using demographic characteristics and/or claims experience. Analyze participation levels, contribution methodology, industry classification and other carrier information available. Apply knowledge of national and local competitive information to rating decisions.
- Provide support to Senior Rating & Underwriting Analysts in explaining the components of rate changes and financial information to internal and external stakeholders (customers, sales, agents, consultants and employer groups).
- Apply underwriting and rating policies when reviewing exception requests and prepare recommendations to leaders that includes financial and operational impacts.
- Respond to internal and external requests for specific analysis regarding customers need to better understand the financing of health care in conjunction with an employer’s benefit offerings.
- Develops special analysis to illustrate financial trends and it’s impact on specific group costs and expenses.
- Provide support to new underwriters related to underwriting, rating, systems and departmental processes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree with a major in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics or related field required.
- Two (2) years experience in an Underwriting, Pricing, Accounting or Financial Analysis position.
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare summary reports required.
- Good understanding of mathematics principals and their practical applications required.
- Good verbal and written communication skills required.
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to handle multiple tasks and timelines.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Powerpoint required. MS Access & Visual Basic preferred.
- Knowledge of rating systems and mainframe applications preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of sales distribution channel preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of Federal and State laws and regulations related to health care delivery systems (HMO, PPO, ACO, etc.) preferred but not required.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other grounds, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Primary Location: Detroit
Organization: Underwriting & Actuarial Trend-1122
Req ID: MID0005S