Mathematica International Research Associate in Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Position Description*:
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to address complex social challenges and improve well-being around the world. We create and use evidence to help our public and private sector partners improve programs, refine strategies, and advance knowledge. Over the past two decades, we have developed a large portfolio of international development work that spans more than 50 countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America, and Europe. Our work provides actionable learning to guide decision-making and improve outcomes in a range of policy areas, including health, agriculture, energy, education, and workforce development.
Mathematica is looking for highly motivated and skilled Research Associates to join its International Research Unit. Research Associates will have the opportunity to generate vital, timely evidence and learning that can help donors, practitioners, and policymakers improve programs, strengthen strategy, and make data-driven decisions. They partner with researchers and other staff to design and execute user-focused evaluations and other measurement and learning efforts that help answer pressing research questions and translate findings into actionable lessons and recommendations.
We seek candidates that will thrive in a collaborative, team-based environment that prioritizes analytical rigor, critical thinking, and a client-centered approach. This role is ideal for individuals with strong research and analytical skills, a passion for international development, and a commitment to using data and evidence to drive change. We are especially interested in candidates with strong statistical programming skills (such as in Stata or R), experience using GIS tools, and/or French language skills.
- Conducting literature reviews, landscape scans, and background research to inform evaluation design, help “connect the dots” between our research and the field, and generate findings that are grounded in context and build on what is known
- Supporting quantitative and/or qualitative analyses, including cleaning, organizing, and analyzing data in Stata, R, or NVivo; this might also include the application of innovative methods including remote sensing and machine learning
- Producing high-quality visuals (static and interactive) to be used in a range of deliverables
- Assisting in writing sections of reports, briefs, memos, and other research and policy documents
- Developing survey instruments, focus group discussion guides, and in-depth interview guides for a variety of stakeholders, from the ultimate beneficiaries of the programs we evaluate, such as women and girls, to those participating in and implementing these programs on the ground, such as teachers, farmers, and healthcare workers, to those overseeing these programs, such as development partner staff and government officials
- Providing support to project teams such as developing meeting minutes, organizing documents, and tracking progress of deliverables
- Serving as a liaison among technical project staff, researchers, internal business departments, external consultants, subcontractors, and client representatives
Managing proposals as needed
- Position Requirements*:
Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences, public policy, or a related field
- Strong knowledge of quantitative and/or qualitative research methods
- Excellent management and organizational skills, especially an ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Highly motivated and self-directed, with strong interpersonal skills
- Experience with statistical software packages, such as Stata or R, is preferred
- Familiarity with GIS workflows and software and/or experience using GIS in a non-classroom setting is preferred
- Experience working with large remote sensing datasets is a plus
- Fluency in French preferred; fluency in other languages is a plus
- Experience conducting fieldwork in a developing country a plus
- 1-2 years of relevant experience preferred but not required
Please submit a cover letter, resume, a writing sample, and contact information for three references. You will be asked to attach these materials during the online application process. Please click the "Apply Now" icon after the position description to attach your documents. Letters of Recommendation are not required.
Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength. Read more about our benefits here: https://www.mathematica.org/career-opportunities/benefits-at-a-glance.
We take pride in our employees and in their commitment to excellence. We encourage staff to collaborate in developing creative solutions to difficult problems and to share the responsibility and enjoyment of carrying out complex projects. This collegial spirit has helped us earn our reputation for innovative and high-quality work. As a winner of the "Excellence in Diversity Award," we know that building an inclusive culture based on the diverse strengths of employees from different backgrounds is key to our success.
This position is open in the following cities and states; however, we are all currently working from home and provide the support and flexibility needed to work from home. We ask the candidates to identify their preferred location for when we return to working in-person.
Available locations: Princeton, NJ; Washington, DC; Cambridge, MA; Chicago, IL; Ann Arbor, MI; Oakland, CA; Seattle, WA
This position offers an anticipated annual base salary range of $44,000-$64,500 and may be eligible for a discretionary bonus based on company and individual performance.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
- Mathematica Jobs