Mathematica Data Visualization Designer/Developer in Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Position Description*:
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development.
Mathematica is expanding its ability to deliver the results of its analytic work through interactive, web-based interfaces. The web development group is hiring a Data Visualization Designer/Developer who can both lead design efforts on both internal and public-facing products and contribute to their development. This position requires the candidate to have an expert level of understanding of data visualization design and implementation. You will be asked to include a portfolio with your application. The primary expectations of the position are to:
Lead design and development web and application-based data visualization products * Mentor junior staff in their development of design skills * Provide expertise in a consulting capacity on projects throughout the company * Help develop data visualization sections of proposals for new projects * Work independently and as part of a team * Be self-motivated to learn, introduce new ideas, and teach others
- Position Requirements*:
- Demonstrated expertise in data visualization design
- Strong design skills and attention to detail
- Experience creating interactive web-based data visualizations using D3
- Experience working with web technologies (D3, React / Angular, TypeScript, HTML, SCSS)
- Experience working with design tools such as Adobe XD or Figma as well as Adobe Creative Cloud
- Excellent listening and communication skills, including an ability to translate research findings for a policy audience.
- Experience cleaning, managing, and analyzing large datasets.
- Experience managing data using Python (pandas), Node, or R
- Experience with a version control tool (git)
- Demonstrated knowledge of User Experience design a plus
- Experience with BI tools (Tableau, Looker, QuickSight, PowerBI) a plus Additional Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; Master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years of experience designing, developing, and implementing solutions in fields that include business intelligence, visual information design, and/or interactive data visualization development
- Must be a self-starter, capable of independent learning, and inclusive.
- Must have the ability to juggle multiple projects and be responsible for competing deadlines
- Must have an entrepreneurial spirit to bring technical solutions to an audience that is not technically savvy
- Have a strong desire to improve society through evidence-based research
- Ability to work well in teams
- Strong writing skills
Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee-owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
- To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, location preference, and salary expectations. Also, please either attach or submit a URL for a portfolio of selected visualization work samples.*
Visit our web site at www.mathematica.org.
- Available Locations:* Remote; Woodlawn, MD; Washington, DC; Princeton, NJ; Ann Arbor, MI
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
- Mathematica Jobs